I have had trouble growing vegetables in my current yard, even though I had started a successful vegetable garden in the yard of my last house. This year I decided to give straw bale gardening a try. I purchased the book Straw Bale Gardens. As I was reading about how to create a straw bale garden, I began to find myself completely drawn in and thinking I had discovered the meaning of life.
It became an obsession for several weeks. I purchased my straw bales, placed them in the yard, conditioned them with organic fertilizer and planted them.The garden is doing better than my previous gardens. And the book's author was kind enough to directly respond to a question I posted on his Facebook page. I'll also probably do it again next year.
However, it didn't turn out to hold the key to the universe. I occasionally look out the window to admire how the garden is doing and on some days I have to water it, but other than that I don't give it too much more thought.
This experience makes we wonder why we get sucked into methods and products so easily. Clearly, authors of parenting and self help books are aware of this tendency, as are marketers of almost type of product. Even the package of flushable wipes that we use for our child promises something grand, that the wipes promote children's independence.
It is as if we are seeking something beyond ourselves. Even though we know a product or method, however it good it is, can't get us to salvation, we try anyway. If this one doesn't do it, maybe the next one will.
No comments:
Post a Comment